I have been blogging for half a decade now, and although the first year of it was something experimental, I began to get a little serious in blogging in 2007, when I wanted to have a place for my scrapbook layouts. From there my life as a blogger moved on, and in 2008, I had my very first blogsite that's completely mine. With the help of a friend of mine, she helped me set up my own travel blog.
Having your own site doesn't just mean typing the words and putting pictures - it also meant knowing the basics of what you were doing. Having my own blog made me learn about codes and how to reach out to people, just so they would come and read what I have written. Of course, it is not just about blogging, many people have their own sites to suit their own preferences, and that's the beauty of it, actually. If you have your own site, you can transform it to whatever you want it to.
If you're planning to have your own site, it's best that you get the top host for it. Things to take into consideration are:
- Value for Money - of course hosting doesn't come for free.
- Reliability and Uptime - do know that you may have to update your site every now and then, and you need to have your site up whenever you needed to. This also means that people from all over the world might check your site, and if you're running a business, you don't want them to see an error message, right?
- Customer Service and Technical Support - Every now and then, sites will be having glitches, or because of your curiosity about trying new things, you will encounter some mistakes and when this happen, you need to have a good host with customer and technical support ready to help you.
- Features - Taking how much hosting would cost you, of course you have to make sure it got some good features.
- Storage Space and Bandwidth - I personally didn't have problems with this as I host the images into a different site, but if you don't have any ways of hosting your pictures and videos elsewhere, you need to check just how big is the storage that comes with the hosting package.
- Ease of Use - Not all people wanting to have sites have the knowledge of the technical know hows. Just like me, I don't know much about creating a site from the ground up, so your host has to be user friendly.
Technical as it may seem, having your own website is certainly a rewarding thing. Not only do you get to share different things about yourself, it's also a way to learn new things. I always say that no man is born knowing things he knows now, and things we do in life is a learning experience. If you want to have your own site, go ahead and do it. At first it would feel as if walking on a dim lighted path, but as you go on, you will realized at how far you just "traveled."
A good site starts with a good host. Read, research, then decide.
*** Jenn ***