Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hot Chick

Camera Critters

Pink Chick

This picture was taken on the same day as the picture I shared last week. After the goat herding, we relaxed a little bit before walking to the tobacco farm for some pictures. As I got up, I was surprised to see this pink chick walking along the yard. I asked my Aunt Lorie about it and she said in the public schools, there were some vendors who raffles the chicks off to the students. A student will pay 1 peso for a chance to pick a paper in the canister. If the student (or anyone for that matter) picks paper with a mark, he/she will win one chick.

Now why pink? Well, according to my niece (cousin Lorraine's daughter), there were lots of colors to choose from and she chose pink. =) I think the chicks were dyed to make it look as if the chicks really were of different color. The only thing is that the chicks don't really live long enough to become adult chickens. Maybe because of the dye or maybe because they were too young to be separated to their moms, I don't know.

Cute as they can be, I am not in favor of this trade because the raffle can get really addictive so it makes the kids spend much of their allowances just so they could take home a chick.

*** Jenn ***

20 comments:

Misty DawnS said...

The chick is really cute, but I agree with you when it comes to not being in favor of it. It sure did make for an adorable photo though ;-)

ratmammy said...

oh, that is so sad to know these chicks do not live to adulthood!! I agree... they shouldn't be dying these poor little things, cute as they are with the pink...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: My that is a hot pink chick for your CC post, nicely done.

Mom Knows Everything said...

What a cute chick, but it is quite sad that it won't live. Neat pic though.

Cath said...

Very cute looking but as they others said, very sad that it won't live. Especially if it is because of the dye. How cruel!

You took a great shot though. Well captured for CC.

Kahshe Cottager said...

It made me look twice! I remember seeing dyed chicks and ducks at Easter time, but the practice has been banned now I think.
My Camera Critter is here

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my....how cute....but sad that they die so quickly. totally NOT worth it. I have never heard of this practice.

happy CC!

Kyanite said...

Pretty photo, cute chick, but what an awful practice - never heard about or seen it before.

Anonymous said...

Chicks are always sweet though I prefer them their natural colour and peeking out from their mother's feathers.
Thanks for looking by.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Very cruel and sad, but agree On a photography note well captured. Still it really is heartbreaking.

Aisha said...

LOL! Nakakatawa. Cute naman ng chick. :D

Rayne said...

Interesting photo. The pink really caught my eye. My mom said that they used to do this in NYC when she was a girl. The raffle would take place right before Easter and the chicks definitely didn't have a chance because where can a chicken live in the city?

Dina said...

I am glad you posted this.

Gretchen said...

Poor baby chick. How sad that they are just going to die. :(

Rambling Woods said...

Oh that poor chick...what happens to them when they get big and aren't cute anymore?

i beati said...

where did this take place ?? so cute though sandy

Roan said...

I've never seen a real live pink chicken before. Very sad that they don't live.

becky aka theRAV said...

How cute!

Unknown said...

ang cute naman ng pink chick na eto.

Unknown said...

It kinda sux that we're looking at picture of a dead chick :(

 
;