Friday, June 10, 2011

Fabulous Friday | Mt. Pinatubo Crater

Let me share a short clip first before I share my Fabulous image this week:


The first magmatic eruption happened 03 June 1991, and the first large explosion happened a few days after. When the volcano erupted, I was only 11 years old, and even if we were hundreds of kilometers away from Zambales, we still was able to feel its fury because we had shovel out the ash falls on our roof and bathe all our plants covered in ash. It was a very scary moment for the whole country. Its explosion was so strong that there were traces of ash fall in neighboring countries and it made the temperature in the whole world slightly cooler.

Last Saturday, I was with some bloggers trekking to the crater of the volcano. If I did this slightly two years ago, the trek should be fairly easy because there was a sky way and the 4x4 jeeps would take the people a few meters away from the crater, but because of typhoon Ondoy (international name: Ketsana), the sky way was closed and the trekkers had to trek 10 kilometers just to reach the crater. While the trek was mostly flat lands, what made the trek extremely difficult was trying to keep ourselves balanced while trekking on rocky paths, crossing river streams (very cold water), and putting up with sudden weather change - one part was scorching hot, other parts were rainy. I really thought I couldn't make it, but I did.

Mt. Pinatubo Crater

I successfully trekked to the crater of Mt. Pinatubo, and seeing its turquoise water from afar just made me cry. I asked myself, how can something so pretty can be ugly as well? The trek was really memorable and a good way of soul searching. Of course, I also took the time to go down and dip my body in its "sulfuric" water. I don't see any reason why not... it's a matter of seizing the moment. :)

Our trek happened 04 June, which made us part of its 20th anniversary since its eruption, and echoing what another blogger said, "I wish the volcano will never wake up again, because she is just so beautiful sleeping."

*** Jenn ***



0 comments:

 
;